Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Red Cabbage

Last night, I wanted to cook something simple and reasonably healthy so I looked for a recipe for red cabbage. (Red cabbage is rich in fiber, potassium, Vitamin C and valuable antioxidants called anthocyanins.) I used this recipe from Epicurious:

Red Cabbage with Apricots and Balsamic Vinegar
  • 6 tablespoons of butter (3/4 stick)

  • 1 red onion (+/- 8 oz.), thinly sliced

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

  • 1 red cabbage (roughly 1-1/2 lbs.), quartered, cored, and thinly sliced

  • 3/4 cup thinly sliced dried apricots

  • 1/4 cup apricot preserves

  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
. . . but I didn't have any apricots so I substituted a Cortland apple for the apricots and I substituted apple jelly for the apricot preserves. To make this a little healthier, I substituted 3 tablespoons of canola oil for half of the butter.

I also added the following:
  • 1/4 cup of red wine

  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar

  • 1 teaspoon of arrowroot (which I sprinkled on top just before it finished cooking so it would thicken the wine-vinegar mixture)
It tasted pretty good.

No comments: