Monday, August 11, 2008

My Weekend Eats

This past weekend's food adventures in my hometown of Washington, D.C.:

  • I love Proof, the wine bar that is now open in the Gallery Place-Chinatown district. But there are photographic darkrooms that are better lit than Proof. My meal there on Friday night was a winner, but I almost wanted to ask my server for a flashlight.
  • Last night, I treated myself and a friend to ice cream at Dolcezza, an Argentine artisanal gelato shop in Georgetown. I ordered a flavor called orange-sage, and it was excellent. Yet I was a little surprised to find that Dolcezza had no dulce de leche among their choices. Is there a flavor anymore quintessentially Argentine than that?
  • Sunday dinner was wonderfully fresh, bicolor corn and beefsteak tomatoes (drizzled with olive oil) that I picked up at the Dupont Farmers Market. The credit goes to Spring Valley Farm & Orchard, which is based in Morgan, W.V.

No comments: