Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Review: D.C.'s Florida Avenue Grill

Last Thursday, a co-worker and I ventured to Washington, D.C.'s U Street neighborhood for a beer and then we ate at the Florida Avenue Grill. Since 1944, the Grill has been serving Southern and Soul food to Washingtonians.

I grew up in Arkansas, and my colleague grew up in Mississippi so we know what good, fried catfish tastes like. Well, the fried catfish that we ate at the Grill was excellent -- just enough breading to seal in the flavor, but not too much. The sweet potatoes were good, but they were a bit over-sweetened. The collard greens were marvelous -- tender and not too salty. The biscuits they bring to your table are tasty. I will probably try the spareribs on my next visit.

The Grill has a charming, diner-style seating arrangement. Service was excellent. It's a gem, and I'm only sorry it took me this long to discover it.