Monday, September 21, 2009

Cinnamon Roll Cake: Plan B

This past weekend, I tried this recipe for Cinnamon Roll Cake. It came from Abby Sweets' food blog.

She raved about it in her post. On the whole, I would give this cake a "thumbs up" as well, but there are three things I plan to change the next time I make this recipe.

1. I will add either chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter. I just think it would add a nice element to it. (Some people don't like nuts so maybe I will add them to only one half of the baking pan.)

2. I found this cake a little too sweet. For that reason, I would reduce the brown sugar from 1 cup to 3/4 cup.

3. Last but not least, the icing needs some work. It was bland. Two people who tried the cake (and who liked it overall) agreed with me that the icing was the weak link. I will do some web-searching and see if I can come up with something that's more interesting than the standard powdered sugar-and-milk icing.

This recipe is a keeper. I like the fact that it can be made very quickly because its foundation is a yellow cake mix. With a few tweaks, I think this cake can go from a B+ to an A.

No comments: