Monday, September 14, 2009

Hotcake Hogwash

That's the best term I can think of for what Aunt Jemima writes on its website about its "Complete" line of pancake mixes:
Pancakes made from Aunt Jemima Complete Pancake & Waffle Mix have the same great taste as those made from Aunt Jemima Original Pancake & Waffle Mix, but they are easier to prepare.
Don't believe it. I accidentally bought a box of Aunt Jemima Complete -- the mix that you only add water to (instead of adding eggs and milk) -- and I used it to prepare some pancakes this weekend. What a disaster. The pancakes don't hold their shape and, in addition to issues with the texture, the hotcakes made from the Complete mix are as tasty as cardboard.

I thought that perhaps I just didn't add the right amount of water. So I made another batch. The result was identical: bland, flavorless pancakes that don't hold their shape well.

This is one mistake I won't make again. Aunt Jemima Original: definitely worth buying. Aunt Jemima Complete: a complete mistake.

No comments: