Here is my list of the top 5 places to eat pizza in Washington with the neighborhoods cited in parentheses:
1. Pizzeria Paradiso, two locations (Georgetown & Dupont Circle)
2. Two Amys, 3715 Macomb St. & Wisconsin Ave., NW (Tenleytown)
3. Sette Osteria, 1666 Connecticut Avenue, NW @ R St. (Dupont Circle)
4. Matchbox, two locations* (Capitol Hill & Gallery Place/Chinatown)
5. Pete's Apizza, 1400 Irving Street, NW (Columbia Heights)
Each of these places serves a NYC-New Haven style of pizza. This was a tough choice. There isn't much separating my top three choices as far as quality goes. Two Amys would probably be my #1 choice if they made a better crust.
I'm sure there are some Washingtonians who read this list and wondered: "Why isn't Coppi's on this list?" I have had pizza at Coppi's twice and enjoyed it, but it doesn't belong in the top 5. However, it deserves an honorable mention.
* - I recommend going to the Capitol Hill location on 8th Street SE, between E and F Streets. The waits there tend to be shorter at peak times than at Matchbox's other location.