Monday, December 29, 2008

Fruitcakes: The Scourge of Xmas

I had thought that fruitcake had virtually disappeared. That it had gone the way of shag carpeting and pet rocks. But, no — a fruitcake was one of the "gifts" brought to my in-laws' house from visitors during the week of Christmas.

It looked every bit as unappetizing as they have always looked to me.

I began to wonder where the hell people were getting these things they call "fruitcake." Were they making them at home or buying them at stores or online? I did a quick online Google search and discovered a host of companies that make, sell and ship fruitcakes.

Shameful. It's one thing to make and sell such insidious contraband, but it's a whole 'nother to profit from it.

There are good things that can come from combining fruit and cake -- Black Forest Cake, Hummingbird Cake, etc. -- but "fruitcake" isn't one of them.

Whenever I see a fruitcake with those hideous, artificially colored, red-and-green candied fruits (that look like bad imitations of JuJy Fruits), the only polite thing I can do is to sigh.

No comments: