Saturday, April 4, 2009

Carrot Cake Ice Cream?

Yes, it happens to be one of several very unconventional flavors that the L.A. Times' David Lebovitz is embracing. In this article, he writes:

. . . when it comes to making ice cream, I've been learning how unlimited my imagination really is.

Vanilla may be the most popular flavor, but being popular isn't everything (which I kept telling myself in high school), and I sometimes find it hard to get excited about a bowl of plain vanilla ice cream.

I like vanilla as much as the next guy, but I rarely eat a scoop all by itself. At my table, it invariably gets paired with a warm apple pie, a fruit and berry crisp, or I douse it with chocolate or caramel sauce.

And although I do like the classics, lately I've been using ice cream as a base for some wacky flavors, including an earthy buckwheat ice cream, extra-tangy frozen lemon yogurt enlivened with a few crystals of citric acid, and carrot cake ice cream, which combines everything I love about carrot cake in one colorful scoop.

Carrot cake ice cream sounds good. I agree with Lebovitz' view of vanilla, but I don't view cookies as a necessary companion to ice cream. But, hey, to each his own.

Anyway, the article above contains links to some of these new-fangled ice cream recipes.

No comments: