Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Talking Food in N'Orleans

I sat down at my banquette last night, prepared to eat a quiet dinner at Herbsaint, which happens to be one of my favorite restaurants in New Orleans.

As fate would have it, I got into a very pleasant conversation with the diner seated adjacent to me. She told me that she and her companion were just finishing their meal at Herbsaint and they'd loved every minute of it.

She also described the nightmarish dinner they'd experienced the night before at Restaurant August -- example: entrees arriving only a few minutes after they'd started eating their appetizers.

I took her observations very seriously. Why? Because she happens to be the chef instructor of the Le Cordon Bleu program at the Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago.

Alisa: Thanks again to you and your dining partner (didn't catch his name) for giving me the latest on the Chicago dining scene and talking restaurants with me.

BTW, my dinner at Herbsaint turned out much like theirs -- delightful. Excellent service and creative food that is masterfully prepared. I ended my meal with the Banana Brown Betty Tart. God, was that dessert amazing.

If you want to see a photo of the tart, along with its recipe, click right here.

No comments: