One 2-lb. flank steak, scored slightly with a knife
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of dry red wine (not "cooking wine")
3 T. of tomato paste
2 T. of brown sugar
1 T. and 1 teaspoon of minced or chopped garlic
1 T. of freshly cracked pepper
Juice of half a lime
1. Whisk all marinade ingredients into a medium bowl until smooth.
2. Unroll the flank steak and slide it into a large ziplock storage bag. Carefully pour the marinade into the bag and then seal the bag closed.
3. Place the bag in the refrigerator on its side, resting on a large plate. After an hour, turn the bag over and let it marinate for another full hour.
4. Light the grill and remove the steak from the marinade/bag. Place the steak on a hot grill and cook for about 8 minutes on each side for medium-rare, 6 minutes per side for rare.
5. Remove the steak and let it rest on a platter or cutting board for 5 minutes. Then slice the flank steak against the grain. Serve with a salad or grilled veggies.
The soy sauce adds enough saltiness that you probably won't need or want to add more salt. Taste it first -- then decide.