Monday, May 24, 2010

Perfecting Ketchup? Puh-lease

An article in Sunday's New York Times magazine offered two recipes -- one for "house-made" hamburger buns and the other for ketchup. When I saw these recipes, I immediately thought "what a waste."

How many people do you know who are looking for a "better ketchup"? Ketchup is ketchup. Anyone who has enough time on his or her hands to spend it making homemade ketchup clearly has a warped sense of priorities.

I'm sure the house-made buns would taste better than store-bought hamburger buns, but I find it hard to believe that they'd be worth all of the trouble presented by this recipe. I just don't get the point. What sane human being is going to spend more than 2 hours making homemade hamburger buns? If I had that much extra time on my hands, I'd spend it doing something else -- maybe preparing a homemade potato salad or making a rub for pork spare ribs.