Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ah, Pork Belly

In an article about superstar chef Daniel Boulud's newest venture, Bar Boulud, Wine Spectator explains that the menu at Bar Boulud reflects the Frenchman's love of charcuterie.

WS describes how Boulud prepares one of its signature dishes -- rillons croustillants au poivre:
In Bar Boulud's charcuterie room, situated in the basement kitchen, an 8-pound piece of pork belly sits in a hotel pan.

The 2-1/2 inch-thick slab of meat looks fabulous, the layers of fat and lean meat resembling geological strata.

... After the brining and poaching, the meat is cooled until it is ready to be used in a dish. ... (One of the chefs) heats up the deep fryer and cuts three pieces of pork belly .... While the rillons are cooking, Boulud makes a design with Dijon mustard on a white plate. The crisped rillons are then sprinkled with cracked black and white pepper and positioned on the mustard.

A couple of tufts of dressed frisee complete the plate. Time to eat.
Sounds absolutely yummy.

4 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

I really do need to get better acquainted with pork belly. That sounds amazing.

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Food Dude said...

Doesn't it? Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

I made a HUGE mistake and threw out my wine spectator with this recipe in it. I found it fascinating and was hoping oyu would share the preparation, etc. with me.

much appreciation,

Melissa
San Diego Chef

Food Dude said...

Melissa,

I will look for my copy of WS and post the description within the next day or so if I can find it.