Thursday, June 26, 2008

Restaurant Review: Famoso

I went with friends just recently Famoso, a restaurant in the Washington, D.C. suburb of Chevy Chase, Md. Here's my review.

I would rate the food quality somewhere within the A-/B+ range. We ordered an array of dishes: grilled buffalo mozzarella, a tuna carpaccio, rabbit rolled with pancetta, and ravioli with asparagus. None of these dishes totally dazzled us, but everything was good. Simply good. The bread basket had a lot of variety, and it was excellent.

Famoso is yet another restaurant in the D.C. area that needs a lecture on how to properly store wine. One bottle, a Rosso di Montalcino, had clearly been compromised by storage. We came very close to returning it. Another red wine was served to us at a warmer temperature than it should have been. What's more, Famoso's wine prices are pretty painful on a wallet.

Having said all of that, I must say that I loved the space and ambience. Even though Famoso is in a shopping development, once you get inside, you forget all about that. Someone with an eye for design clearly thought about this.

I would probably consider returning if it weren't for my concerns about the wine -- both the cost and temperature control.

No comments: