Monday, September 15, 2008

Cider Doughnuts

Over the weekend, I made a detour and drove to an orchard-bakery on the outskirts of the town of Beloit in southern Wisconsin. And the apple cider doughnuts I tasted at the Apple Hut were probably the best I have ever eaten. (And I've tasted more than my share of cider doughnuts.)

Golden brown and slightly crisp on the outside and wonderful flavor on the inside. The Apple Hut's cider doughnuts are sort of a hybrid between cake and pastry doughnuts. The texture of the doughnut was marvelous, and they held up well even a full day later.

It was several days before they started pressing apple cider so I missed out on that, but, hey, these doughnuts with coffee or just by themselves were worth the one-hour drive out of my way.

Kudos to Connie and Fritz Brockhus, the co-owners of Apple Hut (pictured above).

No comments: