Monday, September 8, 2008

Homage to Peaches

I bought a bunch of red freestone peaches Sunday morning at the farmer's market near my residence in Washington, D.C.

Most of them are fully ripe, and I have already begun eating them. They are wonderful out of hand or simply sliced and tossed onto a spinach salad with a citrus vinaigrette.

A month or so ago, when the first crop of summer peaches arrived, I bought a few and blanched them. Then I marinated them in a cup of Muscat dessert wine, 1/4 cup of orange juice, 1 tablespoon of freshly grated nutmeg and 1 tablespoon of honey. After an hour of marinating, I removed the peaches from the refrigerator, poured off 2/3 of the liquid and gently warmed the peaches and remaining liquid over a double boiler. Then I served the warm peaches and sauce over French vanilla ice cream. It was wonderful.

(This dish is even better if you add a cup of ginger snap cookies, crumbled into small pieces by hand or by a food processor and then sprinkled over the peaches and ice cream.)

Sunday tonight, I tried something different — sliced peaches with Dulce de Leche gelato, made by Dolcezza. They were delicious.

No comments: