Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm Not the Only ABP Soup Mixer

On most work days, my lunch consists of a bowl of soup and a multi-grain roll at the Au Bon Pain (ABP) outlet across the street from my office. I love soup, especially during the cold-weather months.

But I have a confession to make: I'm a soup-mixer. From time to time, I will mix one type of soup with another. Usually, this means mixing a thicker, cream-based soup with something a little lower in fat (i.e., mixing chicken gumbo with chicken noodle). Obviously, there are some soups that are so different that they can't be mixed together -- or at least I'd never want to combine them because the resulting soup would be much too bizarre.

Anyway, I had assumed that I was just about the only person who occasionally mixed soups, but I recently found out that wasn't so. The manager at the ABP told me that it's not all that unusual for customers to fill their soup bowls halfway with one soup and then fill it the rest of the way with another.

Hearing that made me feel a little less weird. I suspect the manager occasionally does so himself because he suggested a few soups worth mixing.

No comments: