Thursday, November 13, 2008

A True Retro-Salad

The year was 1948. We were not yet chanting "I Like Ike." There was no color TV. This was the year when the N.Y. Times first ran a recipe for Green Goddess Salad.

But the Green Goddess Salad is actually much older than the year that the Times first published this recipe. The salad first claimed fame in 1923 when it was served by San Francisco's Palace Hotel.

I found it interesting to read in this recent Times article that today the Palace Hotel still serves more than 50 Green Goddess salads every day. Am I missing something? A basic dijon-based vinaigrette is generally my preference.

1 comment:

Dining Alone said...

I totally agree with you on that, although I haven't actually tried the green goddess stuff...

I guess I should follow my Dad's Mantra of "Don't knock it til you try it!"