Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Most Overrated Herb?

It has to be parsley.

Through the years, I have prepared and tasted numerous dishes whose recipes call for "fresh parsley." I agree that in most cases, fresh herbs beat dried herbs. But, frankly, I have never understood all of the fuss some people make over parsley, dried or fresh.

It does not impress my tastebuds.

Yeah, I know, I can almost guess what many of you are thinking: "You just haven't tried (fill-in-the-blank dish) prepared with fresh parsley." I have tried a number of dishes with fresh parsley, and I think it is the most superfluous herb that has ever wormed its way into a cookbook.

If parsley were such a fragrant and taste-enhancing herb, why would so many chain restaurants that serve bland food be willing to toss a sprig of it on the side of every entree they prepare?

According to the website whfoods.org:

The delicious and vibrant taste and wonderful healing properties of parsley are often ignored in its popular role as a table garnish.
Like I said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more ... I swear by rosemary and thyme.